Friday, June 21, 2013

Are They Line Dancing to Space Jam?, Or, Happy Two Months Pregnant!

While my friends and I have enjoyed a few nights at a bar country line dancing, my roommate, Cort, was really into what's best described as Country Swing, or as the new place we found calls it: TRUE COUNTRY.

Courtesy of truecountrydance.com...I mean that's totally me. Okay, so no, I can't do that but MAYBE someday I will.

By some magic* we found this place that does country swing, which Cort used to do with her undergraduate friends.  A couple Wednesdays ago we decided to check it out and found a line wrapped around the building!  It was 18+ night, which accounted for the line as well as a wrist-band-only guys rule.  After weaving in and grabbing our first round of drinks, we headed to the edge of the main dance floor, just behind the smaller one.  There were plenty of people out there...but line dancing! WHAT?

We soon found out that there was a change up pattern - 3-4 songs would be played for line dances, and 3-4 songs would be played for two-stepping or swing dancing.  We watched for the first few, but later on a few of us tried to get in on the line dancing and Cort and I two-stepped.  A bit later she got asked to dance by a strapping, cowboy-hat-wearing, young gentleman.

After stepping outside for some air, we came back in to find people line dancing to Space Jam**.  Then to MmmBop.  Then to more strange line dancing songs that I probably blocked out.  Suddenly, the music paused as all ladies were asked to get on the floor who could do one particular line dance, and all the gentlemen celebrating birthdays or being newly single got a front row seat.

Afterwards it was the boys turn, which the announcer was sure to emphasize was a "clothes optional" dance.

As a pretty average girl, I dig both the tux and the occasional uniform look.  But there is nothing I have found that quite does it for me like a plaid shirt, correctly fitted jeans, and a hat (and maybe a belt buckle, but nothing tacky).  So the crowd looked pretty good before they all started ripping their shirts off...then some of them got better.  And some got worse (put it BACK on!).  Either way, all of a sudden there were a group of about 40 guys, most of them topless, line dancing for the girls who were celebrating birthdays, bachelorettes, being newly single, and 8 weeks pregnant.

Why she was out at a bar 8 weeks pregnant? Not sure.  But if you get a crowd of half naked men dancing for you, then I guess I can't judge her life choices too harshly.  I'll be sure to note this for my future husband/baby daddy****.


*Google.
**You know, that one movie Michael Jorden was in that mattered. And if you thought it was Shaquille, you're thinking of Kazaam.***
***Which was also fantastic. Seirously, you should've been a kid in the 90's.
****"All I'm saying is I have to be responsible for your genetic offspring 24/7 now, the LEAST you could do is throw in a little bit of eye candy.  Oh! Speaking of candy, can you get me some ice cream?"

No comments:

Post a Comment